PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So what's up at Polar? (Merged again & again)
Old 5th Oct 2005, 13:13
miafr8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fr8Dog, you are sorely misinformed.

When ACMI business was in the tank several years ago, Atlas jobs were saved when AAWW shifted a percentage Polar scheduled service, Military and Charter flying to Atlas through an alliance agreement. That actually increased hiring at Atlas and stunted the growth of Polar. That my friend is a fact. As ACMI business started to pick up, they also kept the flying taken away from Polar. Polar has only hired for attrition. For several years before the strike Atlas has been flying Polar callsigns. At any given time Atlas operates 3 to 4 aircraft for Polar.

Regarding S. America, within several months after our purchase by AAWW, MANAGEMENT transfered Polar's slots to the Atlas certificate, WITHOUT DOING THEIR HOMEWORK . The D.O.T. promptly pulled those improperly transfered slots and put them back into the hopper for open bid.

Atlas struck work rules? You should have seen them BEFORE we got involved. AAWW wanted those boys and girls to sign a "no strike LOA", to be attached to their contract, that would prevent them from honoring ANY picket line whatsoever. In private chats with our MEC, the Atlas MEC stated "yea, we'll sign it but when we're faced with crossing a Polar picket line, we'll just say "we fear for our safety"". The Polar MEC wasnt comfortable with that (This strike case and point), so he drafted a letter to the Atlas MEC stating "Polar Pilots will not harm or endanger the safety of Atlas pilots who cross a Polar picket line". AAWW realized that can of worms wasnt worth opening so thay modified their "no strike clause".

All Atlas piolts had to do was to "honor a legal picket line". Had AAWW contracted FedEx to fly a trip leaving out of the Polar ramp, would THEY have crossed the picket line, sat in a blacked out vans, sneaked around, laid down in the back seats, or flipped the picketers the middle fingure?

The Atlas MEC withdrew promised support (both before and after the TRO and follow up hearing), failed to give direction to his folks at critical times and a percentage of the rank and file of Atlas pilots just blatantly SCABBED.

Golly, I hoped I answered your questions?!
Maybe the next time you want to get vulgal (I know, it's because youre ignorant), please get your facts straight first.

Do you really fly for a living? You come accross rather young and uneducated.