PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - just started flying, is it enough?
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2005, 10:15
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A cheaper way of doing it

Cessnasey,

May I suggest that before you go any further expending your hard earned shekels you take a close look at the 'National Private Pilot Licence' as an alternative to the PPL, and Micolighting rather than flying the SEP 1 'A' Class aeroplanes you are now flying.

With colour blindness, you are never going to pass the Class 1 medical, so all your flying is going to be recreational flying, because you won't be climbing up flying's greasy pole, hence you don't really need a PPL.

The NPPL is a cut down version of the PPL that should be attainable in far fewer hours, but is useable only in the UK and (I believe by bi-lateral agreement with the French,) in France. Hence, for your purposes cheaper and just as good.

The latest generation of microlights is extremely sophisticated. In fact the microlighting world's latest aircraft are now far better than most of ours. I'm sure you will find flying an Ikarus C42 very much more fun than any stodgy old Warrior or C152. For this, you will take the BMAA's licence instead of the PPL. Microlighting is very much cheaper than flying SEP1s at Biggin HIll.

Good Luck,

Broomstick.