PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most unusual application for a helicopter?
Old 5th Oct 2005, 06:36
voodoo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm.

How about replacing an older powerline with a new. They wanted me to pickup an temporary cable to lay down along side the old one. Our CP decided that a 1000 fot sling would be maximum lengh. Actuallt it became airborne at 850 feet. I then had to "try" to lay it down with precision. The first lift it was picked up in the middle of the cable so I had to pickup another end again and do the same thing. A bit uncomfortable to get the sling airborne at 850 feet. I was in a AS350B3 and the weight of the cable was around 1 ton.

Another one was when i was flying as a target for a new radar. They wanted me to hover at 10 000 feet for over an hour.

To simulate a real windy day for a television program. Hover over the actors for 3 minutes. Job done.

Batchler Party. At 8000 feet they stapped a fake parachute on his back and blindfolded the poor guy. We pretended to be climbing to 20 000 feet but in realety i gently descended to a friends house were there were a swimmingpool. Once there they gave him the handle for the backpack and told him to pull it as soon as he was outside of the aircraft. (Wish i could have seen his face). So at about 5 feet above the pool the kicked him out. Bastards :-)

Last edited by voodoo2; 5th Oct 2005 at 06:54.