PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France crash at YYZ (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2005, 01:17
electricjetjock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I am with you NXMEMBER and ROCKHOUND.

I have been flying the buses (330 / 340 / 346) for the last 10 years and they are great. They are like any other aeroplane (I have also flown Boeing's) if you do not do things correctly they will bite!

RESA Nothing wrong with being fed in at 5 miles if it is flown properly, topography does not come into play, he was not doing an auto land. The FMS will not do anything unless you make it, as it will not have captured the glideslope in your scenario.

Nothing wrong with disconnecting the AP at 300' on finals, however airbus recommend not disconnecting A/THR in normal circumstances below 1000'. Why? Because you have to give some attention inside to the ECAM as you match the little blue O (donut) to the reguired N1, then use the instinctive disconnect buttons on the thrust levers. If you just use the disconnect buttons then N1 goes to the demanded position i.e. CLIMB thrust. Not what you want at 300' on glideslope and centreline at Vref. You have now got a shed load of thrust above what is required and a lot more energy to get rid of and you will not touchdown at 1500' unless you do a carrier landing, even then you will be destabilised in the last critical 300'. Or if you have given it your full attention and you now look outside you could have gone high from that point in. They should have carried out a rejected landing, taught at my airline, always assuming they have NOT selected reverse!!! Reverse selected you are committed. Going ahead into a big one, then you have to ask for an immediate turn at 400' or just do it and inform them of your intentions. You are flying the aircraft.

Just in case anyone asks deselecting reverse and applying TOGA is not recommended for any airliner. Many years ago a 737 tried it and one stayed in reverse with dire consequences.