PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar / AS355 Twinstar [Archive Copy]
Old 4th Oct 2005, 14:43
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flingwing,

The only quibble I have with your observation is that LTE is the wrong term to use if the overpitch causes LTA.

LTE is the moniker established by Bell to describe how a helicopter can lose control while within its normal envelope (in spite of imabell's statements otherwise). In contrast, if a pilot takes on an excessive crosswind (beyond the flight manual limits) or is he pulls too much torque or operates at too much gross weight or pulls the rotor rpm down below normal, the resulting loss of yaw control is not really LTE, it is LTA.

If we call every loss of yaw control LTE, we blur the reason why it happened, and thus blur the responsibility for who caused it, and also blur the method used to prevent it.

helmet fire's post above slices nicely thru the definitions, and is worthwhile, I think.

To imabell,

Your protests are noted, some people can fly a crummy helicopter and stay out of trouble, I agree, but when 95% of the mishaps are on one model helo, it says that model has a problem. I really dislike blaming the pilot when it is clear otherwise. As a former test pilot, I worked to try and make helos that helped us stay out of trouble.

When the Bell Cobra experienced LTE, the tail rotor was fixed, after an extensive campaign that the Army insisted upon.

When the prototype Bell Kiowa Warrier was flown by Army test pilots, they experienced LTE, and grounded the aircraft to require that the tail rotor be made more powerful.

When 10% of all JetRanger accidents are caused by LTE, Bell published an elaborate procedure that tells you how to baby the aircraft, and how to blame yourself if it happens.

As long as we apologize for our aircraft, we are doomed to have to deal with their shortfalls. When we as a pilot community stop blaming ourselves, we stand a chance at becoming a legitimate transport system. Please stop blaming your brother pilots and start focussing on how to get us better aircraft. Perhaps you could start by changing your username so that your biasses are slightly more hidden!