PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career prospects for a 'career changer' . . . . . aged 42
Old 4th Oct 2005, 09:02
Grass strip basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree 100% with Ham Phisted... it is addictive... did my PPL 2-3 years ago... now studying for ATPLs and can't wait to get onto the flying element of a CPL. I may never fly professionally but that doesn't mean I don't want to fly at all.

I say do that PPL... you can stay in full time employment whilst doing it so the financial risk to you and your family is relatively low... taking your family and friends flying for the first time is very rewarding... I'm sure your kids would love it

Then you can even finance you ATPLs whilst still working (as I am).... and even do the CPL at weekends if you want to go that far.

If you take the training in small bite sized steps I don't believe you have to get 000's of pounds in debt to chase you dream. Lots of people in the industry have pointed out to me that the right hand seat of a 737 isn't the only way to get involved in avaition. I know one or two people in your position who now work in different industries (for considerably more money than that a typical first officer gets) and instruct at weekends... they are very happy with life.

Best of luck with it anyway... and thanks for starting the thread... best I've seen on Pprune for quite some time