PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More madness at BA.
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2001, 21:46
Diesel

The vast majority of cabin crew I have met have been efficient, polite and friendly. Unfortunately it is true that cabin crew and flight crew have different managers and different unions. As a result they have different agreements and indeed cc are far more militant about their agreements than are flt crew. Few pilots know the details of cc agreements and are therefore rather out of the loop when it comes to calculating discretion limits say, or the significance of a delay. Crew look to the CSD for anything significant. In their eyes the Capt is of little significance. He/She just flies the plane.

In addition to this CC are encouraged to speak up (CRM). This has lead to a situaion where any so minded CC will not think twice about questioning flt crew regards their action. Recent examples I know of include a FC suspended on return from US trip as CC reported them for apparently not been suffuciently proficient technically (she said the aircraft was on the runway too long during take off - honest!!) , a captain being questioned in front of passengers when he took a bottle of water without CSD's permission, and a capt being told he had no right to carry a pax on j/seat and if he did it again would be reported....these are 100% true examples.

F.C. have in their way responded to this and indeed not all are particularly polite to cc. Net result is a worsening of relations. Personally I think the whole thing needs reorganising - one management team would be a start.

Is it like this in other airlines?