PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career prospects for a 'career changer' . . . . . aged 42
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 19:30
Megaton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's how I started.

Mmmmm. Couldn't get in to mil flying so I thought I'd do a PPL for pleasure and to prove to myself I could.

PPL in hand now so what's next. Well, could do an FAA IR, just to keep skills improving. Hmmmm. I might as well do the ATPL exams. They can't be that hard, can they?

Since I've done the exams I might as well do the CPL. Bu55er it. CPL is no use without the JAR IR so I'll convert my FAA IR. Now suddenly I've got CPL/IR with exams. In for a penny and all that so finish off with a MCC. Several thousnad pounds and a few years later it's all finished but I do have a blue licence with one turbo-prop type-rating in it and I'm just about to start a jet TR.

Flying is insiduous. You start with a PPL and before you know it you've spent thousands chasing a dream. Never any guarantees but if you don't have a go.... On the other hand, there are a lot of wannabes who have more money than ability. Try PPL for size and see how you get on. Good luck and make sure you enjoy it