PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age vs experience
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 17:52
av8boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It’s also useful to remember that attitude is an indicator. There has always been a group of silver-back controllers who still enjoyed what they were doing as they hit 20 or 25 years on the job (a category I find myself in), and they are masters of their craft (a category I HOPE I’m in!). I really enjoy providing a service, and if I can do it better than the customer expected, then I go home quite pleased. This is the case for all of the well-adjusted, aged controllers I’ve ever worked with.

Then there are those who absolutely hate coming to work every day, and they don’t hesitate to let that attitude seep into their work. Those are the people who give the bare minimum—not a penny more. Every time they key the mic they seethe. They are self-destructing—wasting their lives in a job they despise and physically harming themselves. There is no way that these individuals will ever again be at the top of their games.

I think the key is in being honest with yourself. If you’re honest, the peak moment of your career comes (in my experience) about 20 minutes before you start to think that it’s no longer fun to do this for a living. After that you’ll stop learning and growing and caring. You’ll need to find something else to do with your life at that point.

As for experience versus the advantages of youth… for me, it’s not like I now see a situation and say, “I’ve seen that before and I need to do ‘X’,” as much as it is saying, “I’ve seen that before and I was able to work it out without any problems. I am equipped for this and don’t need to be overly concerned.” Then I work my traffic. I’m better at my job now simply because I can focus on the details before me rather than be distracted by having to consider what tool is right for this circumstance or that one. That’s not to say I’m complacent…I find myself more deeply involved now than ever before. I’m glad I’ve got experience. Although I’d like my hair back, I’d never want to be a young ATCer again.

Sorry if that sounded like pontificating. Not intended that way.

Dave