PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weight & balance (again??)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 13:38
BeechNut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well my insurance policy (in Canada) clearly states that the aircraft is to be operated within published limitations, laws, blablabla...and specifically mentions MGTOW and CofG envelope.

Best not to assume anything with insurance. Possibly, quite possibly, if you did a W&B calculation before flight that showed you were within limits and that you guesstimated weights because no scales were available and your female passengers lied about their weight, they MIGHT let you off the hook if the actual number turned out 10% on the high side. Or they might not. On the other hand if you leave no record behind to show you even *considered* W&B (like a filled-in, dated W&B form) and you were overweight, they have every legal right to refuse payment.

And if you were dumb enough to say "hell I always fly overweight because I know that I/the aircraft can manage it", and you WERE overweight at the time of the crash...well, my bird is insured for $52,000 hull and $1 million liability. I'd hate to have to shell out that kind of money, or have my inheritors shell out that kind of money.

Your insurance policy is a legally binding contract. If it says it won't pay if you're overweight, it's safe to assume, it won't pay if you're overweight.

Mike