PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Classic Military Aviation Books
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2005, 19:58
GeeRam

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts
"Chickenhawk", for a chopper pilot, is the most awesome read.

"The Big Show" by Pierre Closterman is the definitive WW2 fighter pilot account.

As a youth I read a book called "Stuka Pilot" by Heinz Ulrich Rudel, one legged german ace for whom Hitler invented a special Iron Cross, who destroyed 1000 russian tanks in his Ju 87 and who also sank a russian battleship. He was an unrepentant nazi and I suspect his autobiography is now politically unacceptable and so long out of print. Made fascinating reading though.
I thought 'Chickenhawk' was a terrific read, but later tainted by the fact that the events described didn't all happen to the writer as suggested.

"Big Show" again, research has proved Closterman's story to be...erm.....personally biased. But it was a good read when I was a teenager though!

It's Hans-Ulrich Rudel.
And the special award was a golden version of the Knights Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds. As a Luftwaffe Officer he wasn't allowed to be a Nazi party member, but as said, his unrepentant sympathy for the 'cause' tainted an otherwise remarkable miltary record.