PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So what's up at Polar? (Merged again & again)
Old 2nd Oct 2005, 19:09
miafr8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airclues,

If the arguement is only against Polar management, then why are the strikers actively picketing Atlas crews?
For the same reason a NWA, FedEX, AA or any other unionized carrier wont cross a another carriers picket line. Exept for NWA pilots and the mechanics, but that another topic.

The reason is to put pressure on the company in any way possible so as to get both parties to the table and negotiate.

In any labor/ management relationship, management always has the upper hand. They have far more financial resources than labor has. Management has more and better paid lawyers to create obstactles for labor when it comes to contract negotiations.

Labor's only recourse is to strike when there's an inpass in negotiations. Labor wants too much compensation (according to management) and management wants more work for less pay from labor (according to labor). The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Some management groups work well with labor (Southwest Airlines). The employees are well compensated and the company still makes a sizable profit.

Other companies treat their employees like the enemy, thus strife between labor and management occurs.

AAWW has spent, wasted and lost more revenue in the past two weeks than if they gave Polar crews everything they wanted and more.

As far as timing goes, there couldnt be a better time for a strike! The busy shipping season is starting and some airlines operate in the red till the last three months of the year. AAWW also posted a $15,000,000.00 profit last quarter while other carriers cant stop bleeding money.

There's my quick and dirty lesson in U.S. airline labor relations. I hope I answered your question.