PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laptops for teenagers
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2005, 16:56
Saab Dastard
Spoon PPRuNerist & Mad Inistrator

Received 275 Likes on 175 Posts
What voltage is UAE electricity supply? You don't want to fry the LTP power supplies...

Virtual CD is a program that allows you to create as many virtual CD drives as you have available drive letters (E - Z). You can also create image files of actual CDs (be warned - they are the same size as the CD contents). You then load the virtual CD into the Virtual drive and Hey Presto! you can install and run the game.

It is possible to automate this (batch file in the startup folder), but I have not found a way to automate the unload - again a batch file - as I found it did not work using the "Run at Log off" in Win XP.

Anyhow, it works for the vast majority of games CDs that my children use.

I classify game CDs into 3 kinds: Those that I can simply copy to the hard drive and install & run from there; those that work with Virtual CD and finally those that neither approach works for. Unfortunately, this last is becoming increasingly common as copy protection is becoming more sophisticated. I don't want to copy the CD in breach of copyright, but I do want a 3 year old to be able to just click and play, not have to eject and install CDs!

It really p1sses me off that usability comes a poor second in the eyes of the game manufacturers - and the number of children's games that require administrator level access to run is an absolute disgrace!

SD