PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career as Ops Officer/Flight Dispatcher
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2005, 23:54
El_Kapitano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hold on a sec..

Hey,

Can you clarify what u mean by dispatcher?? If you're talkin about the guy who works for the handling agents, someone like Circusair, out in all weathers for damn all money and no appreciation from the people you work for or are you talking about the guys who work for the airline doing flight watch, weather watch, flight planning and navigation and all the other stuff that many of these newbie pilots know screw all about?? Cos if you're talkin about the former then it's just a job that pays the bills...just about. The latter is a potential career and a great way to meet the people who hire the people who fly the people. I've done the first two and now I'm flying. My advice to you is to skip the crap at the handling agents. If you can get a start as an ops assistant with a small company then you're on your way to an interesting and eventually rewarding career if you stick with it. To get a headstart on most of the wannabe's go get yourself either an FAA flight dispatcher licence from USA or else go do the very good ops officer course from Avtech2000 here in UK. It's worth its weight in gold and it's affordable and will put you ahead of the very large pack. There are alot of companies hiring, you just gotta look and be willing to move possibly. Another angle into ops is through crew control. Crew controllers always wanted... just stay away from the rubies in
Liverpool..or is that emeralds..I can never remember