PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air
Thread: Gulf Air
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2005, 23:26
Xeque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My apologies - I misread Oman for Qatar in the original Gulf Daily News article which I append here. My mistake!

BEGINS>>>

TWO-HUB STRATEGY

MANAMA: A task force has been set up to streamline the six-month process of Abu Dhabi's withdrawal from Gulf Air.

With the governments of Oman and Bahrain reiterating their commitment to the continuity and ongoing development of the airline, the task force will oversee some key actions to help ensure the most appropriate size and shape of Gulf Air in the future, said Gulf Air president and chief executive James Hogan.

Over the next 90 days, the team will deliver an enhanced strategic plan having fully reviewed the company's organisational structure and route network.

"As we complete the smooth withdrawal of Abu Dhabi from its position as a shareholder, we are going to focus far more on a two-hub strategy - in Bahrain and in Muscat," said Mr Hogan.

"As a result, we must look at every element of our business to establish whether we have the right systems, the right structures and the right focus to meet this two-hub strategy.

"When Abu Dhabi's decision was originally announced, it was stated that the core approach to business and the core business strategy would remain absolutely the same and this remains true.

"We will continue to operate under a strict commercial mandate, basing every decision on commercial grounds.

"We will continue to develop the award-winning services that define us as a leading boutique brand, with the best regional and Middle East network and both our leading brands. It is very much business as usual."

He added that there are some areas in which Gulf Air will now have an opportunity to embrace "positive change".

"A two-hub strategy gives us the opportunity to review our network and bring in even greater business synergies in route planning," said Mr Hogan.

"It also gives us the opportunity to review our business operations and our cost base to ensure the long-term future prosperity of the airline."

At the end of the 90 days the new strategic direction will be submitted to the board for review, at which time a further announcement will be made.

Project Falcon was a recovery plan for Gulf Air which aimed to get its business back into sustainable commercial shape.

Since then, Gulf Air says it has come under tremendous pressure as a result of fuel price rises.

"Every $1 increase in the price of fuel is costing Gulf Air more than $6 million a year and we have seen many price surges this year," said Gulf Air vice-president of finance Ahmed Al Hammadi.

"We are not alone in facing pressure from fuel prices.

"IATA, the airline industry association, earlier this month announced it estimated total airline losses this year would reach more than $7 billion as a result of the fuel price rises.

"We have applied fuel surcharges where the competitive environment has allowed us to do so - but on many routes, we have been unable to impose them. "That means the surcharges have covered only a small part of the extra costs from fuel."

<<<ENDS

So don't get all shirty with me JB. I only quoted what was written in the newspaper.