PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - assessment day?
Thread: assessment day?
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2005, 07:49
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I won't try and give an authoritative answer, but an LAC is a newly posted airman capble of working under supervision. This is the same skill set that you, as a newly commissioned pilot, will have immediately after Cranwell.

An SAC is capable of unsupervised work. Typically they will have a better idea of hour sqn ops works than you do, probably for the first 6 months of more after you finish your OCU.

A cpl is the first level of junior management. A Cpl earns the same as a Fg Off.

Getting the message?

A sgt might have 10 years or more experience before he got promoted. A FS is starting to become a rare beast. As for a WO, treat carefully at all times.

It is almost a question of a parallel universe. As far as aircrew go that is even truer as you would have very little to do with the other half BUT . . .

At IOT they do not take in to account your potential as a pilot as they recognise that many only become officers and not aircrew.

An officer must therefore be willing to listen, to take advice, consider a problem and then make a plan rather than simply follow a set of rules. For much of the time you will be controlled by rules but every so often you must make your own mind up.

The Brigader in Basra would certainly not have said 'knock that wall down' but would probably have asked for views first. What he did not do was 'staff it'. He made a decision and stuck with it.

An offcier must know his limitations, he must respect the views of other but he must not shy away from the uncomfortable to appease the mass.

<<You are in charge of 8 men. One is lost. It is getting dark. You are wet, tired and hungry. The path is well worn. Off the trail is gorse, bramble and tussock grass. Your party is trudging head down following the boots of the person in front.>> What do you do?