PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet another (irremovable) trojan
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2005, 22:10
Groundgripper

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You will often find virusses in threes if your system seems to be badly affected
How true - mine was! AVG got rid of two of them without any trouble just leaving this awkward so-and-so.

I rummaged around on the two sites mentioned, and also on MajorGeeks site, and plunged into the Registry,deleting files as I thought appropriate - to absolutely no effect. (I'm a bit of a novice at this sort of thing!).

As a last resort I updated AVG and ran it - and it got rid of it! Strange that, I presumed that the version the shop put on was only a day or so old, maybe I was wrong.

Anyhow, it all appeared fine and dandy today, no problems and internet working fine (I also checked it on Trend micro's Housecall which also pronounced it clean) so I was happy with it and spent the morning doing several things I should have done sooner....................except that I then started reloading all my other software and, as of this evening, on boot up it now crashes halfway through loading up XP - screen goes blank and nothing works except for the mouse and I have to switch off by pulling the plug - strange!

Back to the shop tomorrow, I think, they loaded XP so let them sort it out (and explain why the Microsoft site thinks this copy of XP is pirated - there's a surprise!)

Anyway, many thanks for all the suggestions. That Jotti site is very good; the trouble is that you have to know which file to scan, otherwise it could take a very long time especially if, like me, you don't really know what you are doing!

GG