PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Does the RAF have the Harrier today?
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2005, 17:36
flipflopman RB199

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would either of those ex GI Jags you refer to be one of the Taxiable/Ground Running airframes Jacko?

As opposed to the mangled/hacked at/battered majority of ground instruction Jags at Cosford.

Having seen and worked around some of those training airframes that have been used for the past 20 years to train ham fisted 16 year olds the intricacies of complex aircraft maintainence, I think they would need a DAMN sight more than a major, and robbed LRU's to make them anything like serviceable.

Perhaps there are a few which have had their hydraulic / electrical systems kept in working order, but the majority of them are in a very poor state indeed. I do believe a study was actually carried out on the viability of re-introducing some of those aircraft into service, but was rejected on the amount of work that would be required, and ultimately, cost.

A great shame, as I actually quite like the Jag, as clearly you do yourself, but the realities of the situation mean that they have indeed had their day.