PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So what's up at Polar? (Merged again & again)
Old 30th Sep 2005, 09:01
MetAl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just some old timer perspective.

I worked for Polar. Now I don't.

The first few years, Polar made some money. Now they don't.

When the last Polar contact was negotiated, GE was the owner. Now they're not.

I've walked picket lines since the Continental strike in '83. CAL, EAL, UAL, been there. Put my signature on a contract in 1985. And paid dues since 1983.

Now, let me say, in all the strikes I've ever been a part of, the Polar strike is the most unorganized bunch of junk I've ever seen. At the CAL strike, they still let the commuters bring in and take out passengers, even though they were ALPA folks (Royale) Yea, some radical folks at CAL asked Royale to do some nasty stuff like getting into CAL planes and trashing manuals and equipment, which never happened.

One thing that never happened then, even though Frank Lorenzo was involved, CAL never ever sought out to destroy EAL. Yea, they bitched a bunch, but never targeted the EAL guys as taking away CAL work.

Now, we've got the Polar guys going directly after their brothers at Atlas, a sister company. How bizzarre, what's the goal of the PAC MEC, to realize their stated goal of shutting down AAWH altogether, and kill 900 jobs instead of their own 300 or so?

The PAC MEC has operated in the spirit of Bob Fell, mean and short sighted. While double B Bobb has said the correct words in the lead up to the current strike, the actions of his troops have belied him.

You guys at Polar are in the midst of the 30th of September, Ultimatum day as I understand the literature. If you guys want any piece of the Boeing contract, the Qatar contract, best tell Bobb to turn belly up.

900 of us can get them, 300 are a sneeze.