PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whizz Wheel CRP1
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2005, 10:10
Droopystop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IO540,

I am not sure that extolling the virtues of GPS is appropriate here. The PPL system does not allow for GPS at the moment. Whether that is right or wrong is another thread. There is no doubt in my mind that use of the CRP ensures a rigourous method of flight planning, which I think we all agree is of utmost importance. To do the same on a GPS requires that it is a) hand held ie can be taken into the flight planning room, b) has some form of moving map function so that plans can be gross error checked and c) unless it contains an upto date ICAO chart, you still need a paper chart and a line. Of course these things are available, but at a price which not everyone is prepared to pay. So please don't discourage newbies with the perception that high technology is the way to go when the PPL course doesn't allow for it and it is not absolutely necessary.

Student in Ipswich,

There are many out there who still use the CRP and that includes professional aviators, including North Sea and SAR helicopter pilots. In practiced hands they are not significantly slower than electronics. In some respects CRPs are better because it is easier to pick up mistakes. On the other hand, GPS can be more accurate and provide more information. Whether the increased accuracy and information is necessary is debatable. Learn it, try to enjoy the experience - the circular slide rule is a truely amazing bit of kit. If once you get a PPL, you decide to get a GPS by all means get one, they are definitely useful tools. But remember to use it in the same way as a CRP. In other words do all your flight planning on the ground first, set the route up before getting into the aircraft (or at least before you start up in the case of a fixed set) and don't get distracted by it once airbourne.

Good luck and happy flying