PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Does the RAF have the Harrier today?
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2005, 22:33
FB11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pierre/ORAC,

I'm not sure what your reason for starting/adding to this thread are but it does sound a little like sour grapes. You've received some very candid replies which all make sense if you (hopefully) digest them. To add:

1. During TELIC, JFH (there was one RN pilot) had ZERO (nil, none, no, not one) engine removal for FOD. The mighty fin up the road had 19. NINETEEN. If I knew how to make the capitals bigger I would. We also had 91% serviceability and 93% sortie completion rate. I welcome your thoughts on those stats.

2. The reason the Harriers are in Afghanistan is that the Fins could not operate, and can still not operate, from the available strip.

3. Much as it galls me to say, the comments about the FA2, once you pick out the wheat from the chaff, are correct. Multi role we were, but capability? Have a read of the many comments (mine included) in the well beaten dead horse the "Sea Jet" thread.

JFH provides just shy of 25% of the total UK strike force and is deployed on 50 % of the current UK ops. Do the maths as to "Why does the RAF have the Harrier today?"

Oh yes, Pierre. Questioning the Harrier? Questioning the JSF? Single seat envy?