PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big Cuts Urged in Aviation Growth
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2005, 20:51
Woomera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cynical, you Rob? No never!

Think I recall very recently that a formerly British, now global petroleum company produced a world record annual profit and it would have been higher had it not been for a refinery fire somewhere in the USA?

That same company also happens to be one of the world's largest investors in the alternate energy business.

One can't help but be sceptical of oil industry claims. Twenty to thirty years ago diesel fuel was less than half the price of gasoline, understandable as it constitutes a higher proportion of crude content and has significantly lower refining costs. UK and Europe moved to a higher proportion of diesel powered cars - and diesel fuel (in Australia at least) is now 10% more expensive than gasoline!

Ditto Autogas (LPG). Twenty years ago Autogas sold at less than 15% the cost of gasoline. Cars (and particularly taxis) here converted en mass to Autogas - and the price is now 40% that of gasoline.

And on the latter point, 850 new gas wells are planned for this State alone where known gas reserves are claimed to exceed expected demand for the next century at least.

There is no doubt a move to alternate and renewable energy sources is long overdue, however I reserve my judgement on any oil company spin doctoring!

But I expect after Katrina and Rita, the US may be re visiting their emission problems!

Woomera