PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Does the RAF have the Harrier today?
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2005, 19:45
Pierre Argh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Does the RAF have the Harrier today?

IMMSMC, twenty years or so ago, the RAF Harrier force was the mainstay of the support for BAOR/BFG, and was perfect for the job flying from mexe-strips and hides in the N.German countryside, ready to fight-back (OK, delay?) the communist hoards charging over the E.German Border etc, etc...

Today the GR7/9 cannot go near the smallest bit of gravel without Fod'ing an engine, so is operationally mud/sand-moving from airfields (a role also performed by Tornado and Jaguar)...

Of course, it also embarks on Pusser's Flat-tops; where it is about to replace the FA2, a multi-role aircraft that could both attack and provide organic air defence. True the GR7/9 has a better engine than the FA2 and all that entails for endurance, pay-load etc etc... but what puzzles me is how the single role airframe won over the multi-role variant?

ISTM that an enhanced SHAR would be able to bomb and dog-fight... on land and over the sea. Troops on the front line might be as desperate for fighter cover as for ground support... and jack onboard would, I'm sure, be equally happy with the protection of a first line of air defence (let's not forget HMS Sheffield/Coventry et al). There may be elements of "Jack of all trades" about the SHAR, but is a third type of bomber in the light-blue inventory really necessary?

I realise an arguement that cites twenty plus year old conflicts is going to be slagged off... Nice toys, but could someone please explain why the RAF are still in the Harrier Force today?

... in coming!!!!