PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big Cuts Urged in Aviation Growth
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2005, 15:25
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gaunty
Can't remember where I saw it but there was a measurable significant positive change to the atmosphere over the US in the days after 9/11 when the aviation business was shut down. it was statistically significant and it was not anecdotal.
This little gem gets bandied around all the time by the environmental lobby in their attempted to discredit the aviation industry. The reality is that after 911 total pollutants in the atmosphere rose over the US because passengers stranded had to find alternative means of getting home. The increase in car emissions more than offset the decline caused by the skies being emptied of aircraft.

To prove my point these are the official causes of worldwide pollution in 2002:

Total Energy Sector Emissions in 2002.

• Energy Industries = 53.8%
• Transport = 21.3%
• Manufacturing Industries & Construction = 11.7%
• Fugitive Fuel Emissions = 8.1%
• Other Sectors = 5.0%

Now let’s break down the transport sector to find who is the most polluting there.

Transport Emissions in 2002.

• Passenger Cars = 54.9%
• Other road Transport = 33.4%
• Aviation = 7.4%
• Railways = 2.3%
• Navigation = 2.0%

If we extrapolate this further for Aviation,

7.4% x 21.3% = 1.576%

In other words aviation accounted for no more than 1.6% of total pollution in 2002. If we are to do anything about worldwide pollution I think we should look at the energy sector first as it is by far the worst offender. Aviation is a piss in the ocean by comparison.

PPRuNe Towers
What do you think is the underlying motivation and message?
To drive prices up even further and line their own pockets. There is no shortage of oil in the world. There is a shortage of refining capacity caused by these same oil companies neglecting to invest in the future demand rises that was always going to happen.