PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career prospects for a 'career changer' . . . . . aged 42
Old 28th Sep 2005, 12:41
Gugnunc

Here are two undeniable factors that us mature pilots need to consider when gambling our families well being and inheritance:
The sources for my opinions are articles written in the journals of the Royal Aeronautical Society and AOPA.

1. There is a constant supply of young, capable and motivated young people from Europe and further afield turning up in the UK with frozen ATPL's. My club seems to have a never ending supply of Danes, Spaniards & Kiwi's.

Many of these students can claim their training expenses back from their governments and can even offset training costs against future earnings.

Now consider the rise of educated Asian students too. The Indian Airforce recent whipped the USAF in a joint excercise. OK they had the latest Russian Fulcrum, but it also proves the excellence of Indian pilots.

2. Our own, beloved BA has stated in letters to AOPA members that it does not need British GA applicants as it can find better qualified/educated/trained applicants from Europe.

So, if you are mature, Brit, wannabe what do you do with the £35-60k redundancy/inheritance/share options burning a hole in your pocket? This is what I'd do if I hadn't blown the money on flying:

Use your money as deposit on a Diamond Star TD or twin (or Robin/Warrior/172 with the Thielert diesel engine). Form a group and use the massive saving in fuel costs to run the group at a profit for you. Lease back the aircraft to your local club (who have not the funds nor the gumption to invest in such machinery).

Thus you can have your flying subsidised by other wannabee's, make a profit, own capital goods that will increase in value against inflation and:

and:

and (wait for it)

and.......

not pay a SINGLE PENNY IN FUEL DUTY TOWARDS AN ANTI AVIATION GOVERNMENT BENT ON DESTROYING GA IN THIS COUNTRY!!!

Hah. Rant I know, but it all makes perfect sense.