PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - seminars
Thread: seminars
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2005, 11:57
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vetflyer,

The general rule is always to pick a field within 30 degrees of the nose. But you asked specifically about Blackpool.

The reasons for not attempting a turn-back have already been stated. But one very important point is that made by Deltic - under pressure to make it to the runway, the actual height loss may well be far more than the theoretical height loss - and it is also when under pressure that people are likely to loose track of their attitude and stall/spin.

But there is an exception to every rule. At Blackpool, I teach my students that runways 25 and 28 are exceptions to the rule. In either case, if you are high enough to clear Pontins, a gentle turn to the left to land on the beach at St Annes is usually the best course of action. The justification for this is that

- a) a landing on the beach (assuming there aren't too many people on it, which there usually aren't between Pontins and St Annes Pier) is better than ditching in the water

- b) although the turn of around 90 degrees or more that is necessary is far more than the normal maximum of 30 degrees, the target (the beach) is very large, and also very wide if the tide is out. Therefore, there will be very little pressure on the pilot to make the beach, as compared to the pressure involved in a turn-back to the airfield. Even a low-hours student pilot, so long as he gets the attitude and speed correct, will be able to make a gentle turn through 90 degrees and then land on the beach ahead without risking a stall/spin.

The only time I would differ from this is with a northerly or northwesterly wind, with the tide out, and when there are relatively few sunbathers around, in which case a right turn to the beach near South Pier, into wind, is better than the downwind landing that would result in heading for the beach at St Annes. I would never suggest that a student should try to turn back, and I would never attempt it myself either.

Any views from other Blackpool pilots welcome.

FFF
-------------