PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Changes to MoD helicopter low level training rules
Old 27th Sep 2005, 17:44
HEDP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as general low flying is concerned there is a defined need for it and, as the number of aircraft reduce in the fleets the burden of inconvenience will also reduce. It is important however that restrictions on when and where low flying occurs are kept to a minimum so as to spread the burden as wide as possible.

As for night flying the same rational applies. The one thing I haven't picked up on throughout the thread, and I apologise if it has been mentioned, is that as much as it can be inconvenient to the local populace, it is just so to the air and ground crews involved. I would challenge anyone to find many servicemen or women who would choose to do this on a regular basis given that they will probably have their own families sat at home waiting for them. It remains the case however that these people will continue to maintain their proffesionalism and skill sets to ensure they are able to carry out their duties when their country (and the local populace) requires them so to do.

Given that flying hours are reducing it is important to squeeze every ounce of training benefit from every hour available so if that means that low level is achieved during a transit then it should happen. If it does not then the tax payer is not achieving maximum value for the pounds he or she is already spending for the transit. If it is not achieved during that transit then a further sortie will have to be scheduled for those aims at additional cost. That said it requires sufficient planning and attention to detail in order to achieve that benefit!

all IMHO

HEDP