PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career prospects for a 'career changer' . . . . . aged 42
Old 27th Sep 2005, 15:23
VC10 Rib22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RI69,

One of the few bonuses to ageing is maturity, and you certainly made a mature decision based on what you were potentially going to lose. Some might say that by choosing not to go all the way you have wasted a lot of money and that you can't have wanted it enough, but I disagree. The way I see it is that you tried something you always wanted to, had a blast doing it and will have learned a hell of a lot about aircraft and flying from the course that will make you a better and safer pilot.

Sure, things may have worked out differently. You might have spoken to someone who said something, or read or experienced something along the way that was enough to spur you to keep going to achieve your dream. Sadly it didn't happen but at least you recognised this and didn't just keep throwing money at the problem hoping that something would change.

I'm a mature wannabe but only because I've had to be. Whilst this means it may be harder to find employment, I welcome the challenge and will take greater satisfaction when I get there. Life deals the cards and you just have to play them. My cards meant that I could never have been an 18 year old at Oxford but I wasn't going to let that prevent me from getting here. I left school to start an aircraft apprenticeship and worked until I had enough to finance my dream. Who knows, I might discover, like yourself, that reality is somewhat different from the dream, but if this is the case I'll hold my hands up, spend a week drinking fine wine, and return to the difficult stuff of real work.

Happy Wanderer,

PPrune is great for advice, but ultimately the only questions you need answered are:

1. Can you really afford to do the course? By that I don't mean the course, I mean the course then not get employment thereafter (mortgage, school fees etc).
2. Do you have a wife and kids who are dependent on you supporting them and do you have their backing?
3. Are you able to return (is a career break a possibility?) to the industry you worked in, at least till that first flying job comes around?
4. Do you have balls like a bull?

It's a big ask, not for the faint hearted. Good Luck!

VC10 Rib22