PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS career structure
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2005, 13:22
BEXIL160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich, I know it was a serious question but.....
please explain the career development structure within NATS
thanks for giving me the biggest laugh that I've had in ages

Okay, I'll give you the proper answer now I've stopped giggling. For the vast majority of ATCOs within NATS there is no career development structure whatsoever, nor has there ever been. All that "investors in people" and all the other buzz word crap is for others, not the operational fraternity. Once an ATCO, that's about it. You might get the odd unit move or two (or lots more in my case ), but as I say, thats about it.

Now, I'm not being negative. I still very much enjoy being an operational controller and have no desire to spend time tied to a desk or getting to a destination. Being an ATCO is my career, so I'm a happy bunny.

How to put the next bit? Over the years I have seen "ATCOs" who really wanted to be managers. Generally they couldn't get their headsets off quick enough to join the suits and their desks. These people are not held in high esteem by their ex colleagues, though I doubt very much wether they realise it at all.

My opinion. Stick to being "just" an ATCO. Forget any pretentions about career structures.

Rgds BEX