PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aus Expats - would you go home (with poll)
Old 27th Sep 2005, 07:20
wyverns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just thought I'd add my 2 (insert currency here)

I've been following the conversation with some interest - especially seeing I was mentioned a couple of times

I'd add a couple of points in reply to comments:

ANSA
(I mean what sense does it make to send a guy who has just spent a couple of years vectoring his arse off into Dubai, to Brisbane Oceanic?????)

Oceanic is hog heaven - about the only place in the room where I get to do everything that an en-route controller can do. More than enough sequencing and holding (although not as many in a row usually as DXB, and with a bit more room to move )

Pinniped
There are several guys that did recently go back, one was from UAE, you should all know him and he was given Oceanic I think.

Now he had also done radar in Oz before leaving and all the UAE redar stuff too, but he wasn\'t unrealistic enough to moan about where he was put. I mean, the company are under no obligation to reemply you.
If they have a shortage on TOPS or Ocean and you want a job, the choice is pretty clear.

Actually, you're pretty close - I was also offered Macquarie, but that was too close to Plazbot actually, even the same aisle is too close......

Tweety

I know a controller who spent 18 years with ASA who has worked all the old sydney sectors incl the old busy Sy Arr N & S Bn arr S CG app, UAE area, one of The busuiest Toronto sectors (if not oneof the busiest in North America) incl approach and working during the 9/11 terrorist attack, and with all that experience still cant get a job back with ASA

autobiographical? Perhaps you should show them the carpet?

Having done the returning thing, perhaps I could make the following points:

for me, timing is everything - I know that won't be much comfort to Ferris or ANSA or any others looking, but that's the way it worked for me. I just kept in touch and waited for the reasons to change from "there's no jobs here" to "come and see us when you get back"

the training I did on my return was not lengthy - I did have to sit through TAAAAAAATS days 1-9 again , but there wasn't much more to it than that

DD - say hello to the English for us

Hi to all in UAE - remember me to the dwarf......

regards

Wyvern