PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tips on gaining Command Time?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2001, 11:23
duke of duchess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

there are 2 ways of getting time one is to instruct the other is to do what it sounds like you are doing, just keep at it, i went up north and after 3 months of nothing got a great charter job and haven't looked back, a lot of instructors are out there competing for each others students and from what i can tell a lot of instructors get caught in a rut, it is a way of earning a living but watching some one else fly is less than exciting and although instructors all tell you that you learn a how to fly by becomeing an instructor, this isn't exactly true, you learn the principles behind it but you don't experience flying in strong cross winds onto little bush strips surrounded by tall trees, or any other adverse weather, if you go up north you are expected to go if it is possible which means you will experience all weather, and nothing i gives you better aircraft handling skills than flying fully loaded into and out of small un even runways that resemble slalom courses in howling winds with trees around to creat strong shear, it gets hairy at times but it is great.

most charter pilots also advance quicker than people who do instructing, i over took all of my friends who took the instructing path most still fly singles with a touch of twin work were i now run around in chieftains an such like on bank runs.

if you can afford the 210 flying go for it and dont worry about the ansett pilots i highly doubt any will be looking for a single job up north, there is still movment in the industrie it has just slowed a bit for the time being.

last thing is don't pay for your job, it makes it harder on every one, 10 hrs is fine, look at it as something that will get you comfortable in a plane that can be tricky at first and you never know it could lead to a job if you impress and they have a pos. however if they start stringing you along selling you more hours resist it and move on.

best of luck