PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is contaminated bleed air harmful? YES...
Old 26th Sep 2005, 15:48
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torycanyon

OK, nothing personal - but do you honestly believe that the event you described actually happened? You know as well as I do that the first thing that happens after ANY event - even a minor one - is that all the pax reach for their cellphones and call the various news agencies. Do you seriously believe that an aircraft could land with 60 unconscious pax following a fumes event, and that NOBODY would call a paper or TV station? That is has never been reported in the press? If you DO believe that... well all I can say is that you must be incredibly gullible.

bral

One generalised study does not make the case for the fumes conspiracists. There are many, many things in this world that can harm you - some people who rarely go out in the sun get skin cancer, some people who don't smoke get lung cancer. How many people still believe that living under power pylons can harm your health, or that using a crystal can heal you?

What all the sensible people (you know, government, CAA, manufacturers etc) are doing is trying to find out what the facts are before rushing ahead with some foolish course of action. There are ample precedents in other industries for immediate action to be taken if a direct link is established.

In any case, I am not for a minute suggesting that there CAN'T be a link between organophosphates and health, merely that nobody has proved anything yet, and that the emotional twaddle masquerading as fact that we see from the various pressure groups is not helping.