PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Leaving" or "Left" Altitudes (ATC'ers pls)
Old 26th Sep 2005, 09:13
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if I'm passing 5300 on descent and you ask "report present level" or for that matter "report last vacated level" I'm going to say "Left 6000".
No No No !!! The intent is to check your present level and in that context it means the numbers on you altimeter to the nearest 100 ft.

Your response should be "passing 5300" It is often best not to second guess what the controller is asking you that info for.... should be a case of providing a simple reply to a simple question....No?

Remember in a radar environment the checking of such is necessary for any number of reasons including verification of your mode C.

Are you more interested in playing with the words in the book or giving the controller some meaningful information??

As for "approaching 6000"... you have more than likely been doing that since you left FL390....! Useless, unless you are really approaching 6000 and want further - but I believe there are better words to use in such circumstances which may just make your intent clearer!

Much of this discussion comes from one's interpretation on what the other man means or did he say what I said stuff.... again it comes back to training and how some of our documents are written.