PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medals Retuned
Thread: Medals Retuned
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2005, 04:32
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

A minor skirmish - there were only 4,500 Zulus in the attack against 104 soldiers. They left 351 dead behind when they withdrew next morning. At least the guys at Rorkes Drift found ammunition in their ammo boxes when they opened them - fighting a horde of Zulu warriors with a box of Jacob's Cream Crackers isn't medal winning glory stuff, though it should be. My great-grandfather was one of the unfortunate biscuit throwers by the way, the only one of the family left in South Africa.

The real Rorkes Drift looks nothing like the one featured in the 'Zulu' film and though extremely heavily outnumbered, those guys were well dug in behind prepared revettments (making good use of their boxes of biscuits). I'd say quite a few Zulus deserved medals that day - being in the front rank of those charging uphill against dug in redcoats meant certain death.

Returning to the case of BoB pilot's lost medals, it is as well to remember that "The Few" flew continuously against superior odds for several weeks and gave no quarter. Far too few medals were awarded in my opinion, but what are mere medals to real heroes?

Last edited by Blacksheep; 26th Sep 2005 at 04:56.