PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic Questions - the Master Thread! (Merged)
Old 25th Sep 2005, 19:24
scameron77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeesie Chressie, I never thought I would have got all this from what I thought was a relatively simple question, can I remind everyone of what I wrote:

QUOTE]I am but a stain on the y-fronts that is this business holding a puny FAA CPL/IR on 250 hours.[/QUOTE]

My reasoning behind the post is this, During my last trip from the UK to LAX I noticed there was a relatively young female pilot wearing 2 tabs, on getting back and discussing it with people here THEY referred to her role as a 'cruise or relief' pilot. Possibly the thinking behind this was a former instructor based where we are on 1,500 hours got accepted by Air Philippines as a cruise pilot on a 747 three months previously.

I wondered if this 2 tab pilot would be accepted on less hours because of (what I perceived as) less responsibility and time logged in the cockpit. I stand corrected. If I have upset anyone because of this I apologise, I can only blame my expose to the aviation industry so far as being the inside of a Seneca II, a C172SP, Archers and Warriors.

I don't think where I do my training makes any difference to what I understand of airline operations. Its not part of the CPL/IR syllabus no matter where you study.

But isn't this what PPRuNe is all about, the ignorant are informed by the knowledgeable? Would you tell off a 4 year old for suggesting 'one plus five is fifteen?' In aviation terms I am that 4 year old when compared to a lot of you.

I don't apologise for not knowing what 'P1u/s' is what is defined by a 'sector' or the two letter identifiers for airlines etc. at my current level of education. However I am more than happy and welcome the opportunity to learn.

As for Virgin's marketing, no need to read too much between the lines, there is nothing to find. My opinion on Virgin is that its portrayed as being a 'fun' cutting edge employer, people aspire and warm to it, hence the amount of people who want to work there. That combind with their list of destinations, pretty cool places for the most part.

What they convey is that Virgin is the cheeky upstart, fighting the monstrous BA, funky, entertainment orientated, young, fun and vibrant - Isn't that what they try to put across to the general public? In the same way my friends in London who work in telly aspire to work for MTV, Architects want to work for Norman Foster and travel writers want to work for the Lonely Planet guides.

I also thought Virgin may have contracted out their TR's to another company as I was unaware if they had their own simulator or capability.