PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 25th Sep 2005, 09:59
mr ripley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sim Assess

This will probably be a repeat of what has been written earlier.

BA uses a BAC 1-11 Sim at Cranebank for the Sim Assessment.

The Sim Assessors are Trg Capts or Trg Co-pilots from a variety of fleets who have volunteered for this duty.

I believe that there are slots at 0800 and 1400.

The assessor will meet you and your 'sim buddy' at the Welcome Centre at Cranebank and brief you on the assessment at the sim.

You will get an opportunity to fly the sim before the assessment starts.

Both 'sim buddies' will be in the seats for the assessment. The choice of seat and who goes first is up to you.

There will be a short amount of time available for planning i.e read the sids/stars and decide upon a cruising level.

You will be required to fly 2 sectors between UK civil airports and perform procedural approaches.

Plates and charts are standard BA/European Aviation Group/AIDU.

Company minimas are provided.

Autopilot is allowed from transition to transition.

Mental arithmetic question may be asked to the HP.

You may have to divert at some point.

You will get a break at the half way point.

Afterwards, you may be asked to debrief each others performance, good and bad point required.

You will receive no debrief from the assessor.

Now the tips:

It seems that BA are looking for trainability. How you work together as a team is in my opinion more important than how you fly. However you are expected to be to a standard and to improve in your flying performance during the detail. Absolute accuracy is not as important as the ability to fly procedurally. Eg climbing to cruise with QNH set and forgetting to descend are probably not good ideas.

Some people have found that famil with a BAC 1-11 cockpit is of help. This can be achieved from looking at photos obtained from the net, downloading a BAC 1-11 fror FS 2004 or by visiting a real life example.

However it is most important to read and learn the pitch/power/speed setting that are given to you on Day 1 at Cranebank.

Good luck.