PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic Questions - the Master Thread! (Merged)
Old 25th Sep 2005, 07:49
coded_messages

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scameron - What you refer too is the 'Second Officer' and it's already been pointed out that Virgin no longer have SO's However with an SO yes your right. Yes they do have a limited rating called a P2X where they can only occupy a window seat for the cruise and yes they can only log a fraction of the time spent at the controls and most to my knowledge have 1 bar. From what I know CX, SQ and QF are the main carriers that have Second Officers, that being said they differ insofar that QF allow the SO's to actually fly the aircraft above a certain height.

I am in the hold pool with Virgin and I can assure you (not that one has too) that when I went along to the interview along with the other 5 pilots we were all there to be interviewed as First Officers, nothing less!

With regards to Virgins marketing? Are you suggesting they are being underhand? I disagree totally with you as this is actually costing not saving them money. Second Officers obviously are on a lower salary so when you do on the odd occassion act as relief Virgin are having to pay a fully qualified FO.

So as you can see only on the odd occassion when there is 3 of you will one have to be relief, I mean is there any other way it can be? Is it at all possible for all 3 to sit on 2 seats for take off? You are not Relief all the time but just occassionaly and anyway is being relief such a big deal? I do it as a Senior FO 90% of the time for another airline at present so cant wait to get some MORE flying in at VS

Hope this helps

Last edited by coded_messages; 25th Sep 2005 at 07:59.