PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ag Take-off Accidents.
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2005, 05:07
Agwaggon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on people what are we talking about here. Look I know that I'm a blooby nobody, right, so lets dismiss the Fig Jam replies before we even start.
I've flown Ag now for many thousands of hours in Pawnees, the beautiful Agwaggon (air ags answer to the MG ) Beavers, Fluctuators, 502s, Thrushes etc etc etc. and guess what? I have never seen nor used a t/o chart. I'll garentee the rest of the crew out there haven't either. You would never start work on a busy day if that was the norm.
If you don't know how much usefull ground you have in front of you when you push things foward, try another industry.
If you don't know where the wind is coming from at the same time, same advise.
If you think that taking off up hill but into wind is the right way to go, same advise again!
The only possible exception to these very basic things is Ag 2's straight out of boot camp.
As for tail up decision points etc. Well thats all very well on an airstrip where you can accelerate to that point go through that decision process and then abort and pull her up in time. Seems to me that if you have that much room it probably would have flown anyhow!
Remember we are a pretty lucky bunch now because most if not all the equiptment we operate is built for Ag. Lets get real here. A 502 with 800 mts will fly. Don't know many spraying strips that won't give you that. On the rice, well often less thats true. But if you only have say 600 mts then, well if you don't know what to put in, then should you actually be there??
This ALL comes back to attitude people. Carefully, Carefully is the way to go. But hey, we all know that don't we.!?
Don't get me wrong I've stood there scratching my big curley mop of hair wondering how much to load plenty of times just like every body else. I always erred on the light side and worked up from there. Anyhow thats the way it's always been done. Isn't it ??
And remember above all, two gg's please!