PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas info
Thread: Qantas info
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2001, 08:31
engage left autopilot

Talking Qantas info

Out of the kindness of my heart, dicided to provide the following information, for all to decifer as they please. this is not intended to indicate that these answers are correct/what they wanted to hear, it mearly is to inform people of what i was asked, and the way that i answered the question, rightly or wrongly. Incidently although i was successful, i was sure that there would be a letter in a couple of weeks.

Phsyc and Skills
Anyones guess. Be honest, try to read the books that heave been suggested on this forum. Rightly or wrongly, the majority of people that i know/see be successful in this stage have some post secondary study

Sim
A couple of different profiles, both involving a ILS at cat at your typical speeds and either a twin locator or VOR?DME set up as a RMI. Apart from a solid scan rate, know the power and attitude settings that are provided in the brief. If you have the attitude and power set correctly, trim it out as accurately as possible, then it will almost fly the approaches for you (although it is harder than it sounds).In the non precision approach, ensure that you fly a 3 degree approach.....having to add power to level will almost guarantee that you are high at the MAP or exceed the speed limitations.
Interview
They are not going to be nice at all. They will interupt you mid sentance, especially if they get the impression that you know what you are talking about. It is a behavioural interview so think back over your wkole career, and try to remember all the situations that you've been in. To all the questions below try and place some personal experience for some of them. If you haven't been in them then possibly make a situation up, that you think they want the outcome to resemble.
* Know major nations Capital Cities. PNG Fiji Pakistan
*Prominent leaders, especially those in the broadsheet newspapers over the last few months
*Qantas, who started it(3people) when and where, the major board persons, price of qantas share, where they fly to,and their codeshare partners where they've recently pulled ou from, what aircraft type you wnat to fly and why, your performence in the sim session,qantas fleet and when they were introduces. Know how to tell the aircraft apart(767 200&300). The position that you are applying for and how long you expect until promotion
During the enterview there are two guys, one a captain the other a first officer taking notes to the specific question. It therefor seems that depending on how they interpret what you say as to how well you are marked.
* your previous experience from school to now, when you first applied to Qantas, you experience levels,whether you know/spoke to anyone about the interview process, your last disappointing assesment, and include what you did to try and correct it. Three personality traits that are a fault. I answered that whilst others surely felt that i had personality faults (ask my wife), I didn't see them as faults or else i'd change myself. At least it shut them up for 30 seconds. Whether you've got any other applications in, and with whom. Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years if you are successful. And also if you are not.
*When have you had to deviate from standard operating procedures. Be vefry specific.
*Leadership and how you operated it. Did you allow others control, delegation, take notes, keep things on the top of you head
* biggest achievement thats non Aviation related.
*general AIP infomation. Descent below LSALT. Circling requirements recency. Visual approach requirements.
*Conflicts at work and how you solved them. They won't take that you've nerver had any so if you really haven't, then make one up with the right twist.
*When you've Operated illegally. They tend to get a bit sick of hearing about duty time exceedances There is also a quick stage to ask questions. I asked the usual crap on further education, and how long they'd been in their position. Thanks for coming.... we'll call you. Its anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks. I walked out with the opinion that they could take their job and stick it, and so have many others. You also feel tempted to have a departing swipe as you leave but obviously don't. By far of all the interviews i've done this was the most demoralising and embarrassing for the size of the company and the experience that they have in interviewing. They give the impression that no matter you experience, it no longer matters, we are the great almighty qantas and you should be priviledged to work for us. I am priveledged to work for them, they are the best job in the world.........they're selection process just sucks.
Feel free to add any other experiences, lets just try to keep it positive, and not get involved in qantas bashing. It would be great if others could provide some information on Ansett/Kendell/Eastern Etc
Good luck