PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2005, 11:23
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviator, me!

I could claim that I need both hands to hold such an enormous appendage, but then I might be accused of using this forum to propagate lies.

It's not what's new here but what's old: does anyone else remember the naked madman who used to hang out by the filling station at the airport end of Airport Road in Ikeja? Now that dude was endowed!

It was bad enough being stuck flying little Cessnas for Pan African without having to see what a real 'disting' looked like as we rattled past in our battered C20. There I was, rapidly losing my marbles so that I figured I would end up stood there next to him pink from either sunburn or embarassment or both.

Of course that was back in the days of corpses littering the local landscape and toilet paper being in such short supply that someone made off with a complete set of Jeppesen manuals from a parked HS-125. Yet now we sometimes think of that period as the 'Good Old Days.' Well, I guess we all thought that Nigeria was going to take off and boom again, as it had up until just before I got there.

The last few days in Port Harcourt have seen gangs of predatory youths on the rampage. The story is that their leader was invited to Abuja to have speaks with the government, when he was arrested. This has brought his followers out into the streets.

The Delta is already looking a very dangerous and almost out of control without either the government or the oil companies able to come up with a solution. It would probably be a matter of 'back up 25 years and take a completely different approach' unfortunately. It reminds me of Viet Nam, where we finally figured out where we went wrong once it was all too late.

The idea of shifting production offshore and just ceding control of vast stretches of swamp to various local 'militias' may be what finally occurs. Leave central, fortified locations under government control (Hey! We could call them 'strategic hamlets.') and move around between them mostly by air and this thing could drag on for years. Anyone want to be that's what's new in (this part of) West Africa?