PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medals Retuned
Thread: Medals Retuned
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2005, 10:01
Clockwork Mouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As this has developed into a history lesson on WW2, a small input from someone who feels strongly about the subject.

Without the assistance of the US the West would undoubtedly have lost WW2. I particular, the food and materiel we got from across the pond in 1940 and 1941 enabled Britain to survive alone against the axis. However the US was not interested in helping Britain maintaining the Empire, which they saw as a rival economically and politically. They were very slow in joining in the punch up and only did so when attacked by Japan and when Hitler then jumped on the band wagon and declared war on them.

Hollywood has subsequently distorted the input of every other nation to the final victory. That's life. One hopes that the history books will be more impartial and balanced, but don't hold your breath and anyway few of the general public world-wide will read them. One would hope that governments would be more honest, but look what crap the Japanese are now putting into their school history books.

By the way, US lend-lease was not a gift to us Brits, as the post-war Marshall Plan was to the rest of Europe, including Germany. We have been repaying it, plus interest, ever since. The last repayment to the US is due on 31 December 2006.

I admire much about the US and their people, but have no illusions about the "special relationship". I therefore hate to watch Blair, who represents us and our great nation, crawling to Bush.

Sorry if my emotions show through.