PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aus Expats - would you go home (with poll)
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 13:08
Tweety

Barra

you did well to start this thread, congrtulations.

As for DP well sorry son, no sour grapes! However, yes I would consider coming back to ASA under the right conditions, but at the moment the conditions aren't right.

there are some Scandanavian contries that actually encourage their controllers to go O/S for experience and welcome them back with open arms and pockets and usually stick them back at the level they were at or above as happened in a couple of cases I know of. Why , because they knew they couldn't ever get that type of experience in their own country and this was a much cheaper way of getting that and having happier more highly trained staff who would most likely stay put. And guess what that is exactly what has happened.

I agree with Ferris's last post and in fact most of his rhetoric.

I know a controller who spent 18 years with ASA who has worked all the old sydney sectors incl the old busy Sy Arr N & S Bn arr S CG app, UAE area, one of The busuiest Toronto sectors (if not oneof the busiest in North America) incl approach and working during the 9/11 terrorist attack, and with all that experience still cant get a job back with ASA, and this has happened to numerous controllers with similiar stories time and time again over the last few years. This experience should not only be recognised but also encouraged (as per the scandanavian experience) by ASA, but until there is a major frontal labotomy done on the ASA upper and mid management, then a CV full of projects and other BS with only a little controlling will fit the bill for them. When will they learn.

There is currently a shortage of area controllers (in fact controllers in general) worldwide and even more so of controllers with a full book of ratings - a rarity these days, du e to streaming. And yes this does have ASA worried and why Ferris is correct in saying that is why they do not encourage the rehire of returning controllers for fear that most will flee and a way of keeping a lid on wages... you must remember the word [B]" BONUS" this is all the managers think about...stuff the troops.

DP despite what you think, conditions have been eroded quite substantially over the last 10 years, so I take it you have only been there a dog watch and only in Brisbane, if not let me knowif the contrary.

Finally to the moderator PPrune radar, I don't take kindly being told to "**** off" by anyone especially the moderator who is supposed to keep a lid on this sort of thing, top effort on you. Dont get stroppy at the likes of us who have given the expat thing a go because maybe you lacked the balls to take a shot at it yourself. so to you on behalf of the rest of the forum, I say "**** off". If you're happy with your lot and not prepared to take that chance great, but dont begrudge us the right or the chance and go and come back and possibly be recognised for the gaining of experience in ATC skills and the life experience gained.

TTFN