PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aus Expats - would you go home (with poll)
Old 24th Sep 2005, 01:18
PPRuNe Radar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some English lessons needed for some methinks. Figures of speech and verbs Plus our humour and culture is pretty different too.

The '**** Off' was aimed at the concept as opposed to individuals. Which is kind of why my post didn't target any individual nor an individuals post. If it was an imperative verb I'd have been using, then it would have identified who I was aiming the order to '**** off' at. For example, I might have used '**** off Tweety' Instead, in much the same way as when the Government says they are putting the tax up on beers, UK citizens will say '**** right off', then I say the same to the idea which was mooted by others on the thread. It doesn't make my opinion right or wrong, just that I can have an opposite one if I so choose and be robust about it if it's a highly held opinion of mine. As can others (regardless of whether they agree or oppose my view) if they choose to play the ball and not the man. Perhaps Jerricho came across that type of phrase during his 'sentence' in the UK ? Particularly if he was involved in any union pay negotiations !!

My stereotype of Aussies is shattered now though, there's some fluffy sensitive ones out there too it seems

Anyhow, the debate has raised lots of issues and food for thought, with opinions and experiences from a broad spectrum, which is the whole idea of a Forum like this. Perhaps a poll would give an idea of the level of support for the various options being talked about ........

so to you on behalf of the rest of the forum, I say "**** off".
Thanks Tweety, did you take a vote on that .. or was it just a gut feeling that you were a natural spokesman for all the rest ?? Take a chill pill.

PPrune Radar you really need to get out more
You're right Barra .. been spending wayyyy too much time watching Test cricket

Last edited by PPRuNe Radar; 24th Sep 2005 at 01:41.