PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliders flying in cloud
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 22:47
Nimbus265

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for that Robin, I'm sure there are many non glider pilots who do not fully understand competition gliding or badge claim flying requirements.

ShyTorque

For me it is a matter of priority and personal choice. While it obviously has benefits and can be seen to add a measure of extra safety, it is currently not a mandated requirement and there are technical difficulties for gliders:

For me currently:

1. The percentage of time a spend cloud flying (see earlier posts - less than 1/1000 of my flying time is spent in clouds)

2. Cost (they ain't cheap) unit costs x antenas x fitting x fuselage strengthening x panel.

3. Electrical load, power budget (my current electrical installation = 3 x seperate GPS and 2 x logger systems, Flight Director, PDA (Moving Map), T/S and AH means that currently I can only achieve about three and a half hours on 1 x 12V 7AH - which is why I have 2 fitted.

4. Change of C of G. I fly with an optimsed C of G and this would need to be rebalanced (by counter weight) with a new panel/additional battery (hassle factor more than anything).

5. I fly to MAUW (580Kg); that means loading exactly 106liters of water for competitions; I don't want to reduce this by adding another instrument and battery.

6. The fact that to fit one, I would have to totaly repanel my glider. (ever seen a competition glider panel?) Theres just no room to cut a spare 57mm diammeter hole in most modern glider panels! It ain't cheap to do either!

7. The level of risk (see previous posts). Out of interest, when exactly was the last GA/Glider collision in cloud, and how many have there been over the last say 25 years?

8. Fitting a transponder to a glass fibre glider is significantly easier than fitting one to a carbon fibre glider.

Currently it's my choice. Sure if the BGA,CAA or EASA state that it it is mandatory requirement - then I'll happily comply. They are likely to do this in 2008 anyway if EASA get their way, but there are currenty difficulties in developing the technology for gliders - which is likely to delay this requirement. If something like FLARM was introduced, I'd seriously consider it. I'm happy to admit that it has advantages.

This debate has been centered on Cloud Flying... it won't be long before somebody extends it into VFR flying!!

I don't know what is so difficult about monitoring 130.4; I have a scanning radio, which is set to scan up to 10 frequencies. When there is a Tx on one frequency that breaks the squelch, I get the message. It normally scans 129.975, 130.1, 130.4 and my local DAIS frequency; I've never knowingly not heard a transmission.

I'm also still happy to fly in a highly competitive competition gaggle with 50 or 60 gliders, flying with about a wingspan horizontal seperation and with less that 100' vertical seperation. The risk of collision in these circumstances is infinately higher than flying in clouds....or should we mandate against gaggles as well?

Last edited by Nimbus265; 24th Sep 2005 at 07:15.