PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mil/Civ Operations
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 18:20
Toadpool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mil/Civ operations.

This is danger of becoming a debate on one incident, rather than answering the original question posed.

Rej, if this were an isolated incident, then perhaps I may have bit my tongue. However it is not, it seems to happen several times a day every day.

Let me explain from my viewpoint. Ignoring the issue of mode c and FL100 for now, I had given the other ATCO all the information she needed in that she was told that the track was a FIS (i.e. not under control), and not above 3000'. As far as I was concerned this made it known traffic to her, and if that information subsequently changed the onus would be on me to inform her, so no RNGrommit it was not dead information. As she was going to achieve a minimum vertical separation of 18000'+, no co-ordination was required and I did not wish to get into a lengthy discussion regarding traffic that was not really relevant.

Now for the FL100 discussion.

London Mil's quote has missed off the start of the relevant part of the AIP, which states that aircraft operating IFR in CAS, and outside CAS FL100+ are required to have a serviceable transponder with both mode A and C. Also just before London Mil's quote it states that exemptions from the requirement are not normally granted.

It then goes on to state that in exeptional circumstances exemptions may be granted, etc.

I would suggest that a civil unit considering granting such an exemption would weigh the benefits very carefully against the extra workload created, as they would be expected to notify any other unit on the aircraft's track of the non-compliance. At the very least they would be expected to initiate any co-ordination required against conflicting tracks.

With reference to the failure of mode C only, why does the sentence refer to "temporary failure", not just "failure". I may be wrong (again), but I would interpret that to mean "intermittent".

Canary Boy, I would agree that the basic regulations are broadly similar, but there are differences in the operating practices. Coming up with concrete examples (with references) will, as I'm sure you're aware, be difficult and time consuming.

One example would be the understanding of a "handover". I can take, and hand over traffic to other units without any direct interaction with the other controller, in other words, silent handovers. Military handovers normally involve direct controller/controller communication.

I could go on but I think thats enough. I'll sit back now and await the flack.