View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 14:58
Go Smoke
pneumono
ultramicroscopic
silicovolcano
coniosis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One last thing, the vast majority of airborne GPS recievers don't just take you along a line with no thought to what's around. All that I've used (pretty much all of the available makes) tell you what airspace and whether there are restricted areas or danger areas around you, so in theory, if you are following the GPS only and not looking out of the window, it should show you and usually tell you when you are close to somewhere like D129, so I don't think your problem lies with over reliance on GPS, rather the opposite in fact.
If you use a something like a colour moving map display, then you would be amazed by the amount of information available to you, including the location of danger areas.
I do use a colour moving map display when flying and am very familiar with current gps systems.
It's all too easy to ignore the 'airspace ahead' warnings, and don't forget these are dependant on the parameters you have set, but also, if the pilot is relying solely on gps when he programmes his waypoints/flight rather than also plotting his route on a chart he is allot less likely to pick up any possible conflict between route and restricted zones. Potentially any particular conflict may only become apparent when en-route and possibly (dependant on settings) when only a few miles out from the problem area.
Now, if the pilot is having a bit of a chin wag, gazing into the middle distance, etc, etc he may be less likely to pick up this conflict.

One point about whinging. if you are grumping on about someone's actions, but not prepared to do anything about it, then you are whinging. If however you intend to try and resolve the situation somehow, then you are passing on information and not being a whinge bag!
Well, with 1,500 topic views it could well be argued that a significant amount of pilots might now be a little more conscious of D129 than they were before. The intention of the thread was to bring about a discussion on D129 and by doing so maybe nudge a few awareness’s.

Last edited by Go Smoke; 26th Sep 2005 at 09:35.