PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Pay Deal
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 11:17
bondu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Offtrack.

The BALPA principle negotiator may not be a pilot, but the team consisted of two others, both North Sea pilots, who do spend 600 to 700 hours over the wet stuff every year. So motivation is not an issue; believe me, there's plenty of that!

You are correct in saying that the oil business is booming. Both CHC and Bristow Ops Directors have '200 to 300 CVs' in their respective drawers. The fact that these are the same CVs (and probably include Alan Bristow's original CV!),doesn't mean that there are 300 wanabes out there. A few weeks ago, there were only about 6 suitable applicants in each of those drawers; no doubt the same six! CHC are so short of pilots that they are willing to poach pilots from other companies and buy training bonds!

With the oil price as high as it is, and soon to go higher again with Rita, the oil companies are throwing lots of money into exploration (big Gordon Brown doesn't get as much tax then!). Drilling rigs are being hired out at double the rates they were last year. I understand, from various sources, that the oil companies will need every helicopter they can lay their hands on during the next 3 to 5 years. With only three operators on the UK North Sea, all operating at maximum, no spare aircraft AND a shortage of suitable pilots......Yes we should seize this chance with both hands, and not let go until the Ts & Cs are what we want/deserve/aspire to.

Missing Piece.

Are you the Bristow pilot using reverse psychology to rally the troops? Do you really believe it is a 'good deal'? Because very few other Bristow pilots would agree with you. Have you read all the details, including the 'small print'? I doubt it!

One further item of note. Bristow's sister company, FBH, are also in dispute over pay and conditions. FBH run the training schools at Middle Wallop and Shawbury. So it would appear that the BHL board are going to be fighting the troops on two fronts!

bondu