PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS Single Pilot Operations
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2001, 23:36
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Hudson In response to your question, I do not work for the RFDS and never have. Apart from the donations, I have no association with the RFDS and don't think I have ever been in any of their aircraft.

I have significant non flying commercial operational experience with Beech 200 aircraft and have lived in remote rural locations for many years.

I have the utmost respect for the RFDS and it's fine team of very experienced, professional pilots and medical staff.

Like most similar organisations, the RFDS has significant financial constraints. Despite those financial limits, the service quietly carrys out it's task in a very professional and reliable manner.

Two crew and additional on board aircraft navigation equipment etc may enhance safety and perhaps provide greater reliability - but at what cost? It is probably all a matter of priorities.

The RFDS safety and accident record is excellent, especially considering the environment in which they operate. I am aware of only two recent accidents, one involving a B200 cleaning up horses on a remote station strip at night (no injuries) and the present accident for which a cause has not yet been established.

Two crew would not have saved the aircraft (or the horses!) in the first accident and we do not yet know what impact, if any, two crew may have had in avoiding the second accident.

I am sure the RFDS will consider any recommendations resulting from the current ATSB investigation, in due course, when the investigation is finalised and a report published.