PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chieftain Turbocharger run down times
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 03:51
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone above mentioned the paucity of meaningfull engineering knowledge passed during endorsement training these days...I would have to agree.

When I did my Islander and C402 endorsements at Talair I spent 4 days going through engineering stuff with the company C&T pilot (Don Fraser)...the same as the twotter and Bandit a few years later.

When you were finished the type rating you then spent a minimum 10 hrs ICUS, real ICUS not the BS tthat is called ICUS in Oz these days, with a training pilot for the pistons and upwards of 30 in the turbines. Lots of questions asked and much good information passed by individuals with a LOT of experience on type and ****loads more in general.

Back when your employer endorsed you on complex aircraft like 402s, Chieftains etc, certainly in PNG, you were made to spend the time learning the aircraft...not so these days where individuals pay for type ratings and won't/can't afford to pay an hourly rate to listen to a ground course over 2 days. It is also very uncommon these days to find someone with real experience on type, i.e. 1000s of hrs, let alone someone who was bought through a proper training system and therefore has been taught the right way himself...more likely a full time instuctor who has a bare endorsement or at most 50 odd hrs on type logged over many years.

The days of flying 'complex' piston twins within the auspices of an 'airline' check and training system...the Talair, Hazeltons, Eastern, etc...is long passed unfortunately.

To the question at hand...if you have done a proper low drag/power approach and taxied the aeroplane properly the turbos/engines will never be cooler than at the instant you touch down...every minute of taxiing around or parked with the engines running things are getting hotter.