PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Army Warrants
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 03:09
havoc

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
Wobbly One

Most interesting thread brought about by a wobbly-one. Guessing and not making excuses for him, but as pointed, the salute from allies (for the rank) may be the least of his worries. Confusing times for him/her (as applicable).

Hopefully a more senior Warrant will take him under their wing and set him straight on priorities.

Several years ago and I think it has been indoctrinated at Mother Rucker that Warrants must salute each other. This was brought upon by those in my opinion thought the Warrants did not act like Officers (respect for a more senior rank). Additionally they worked to take away the squashed bug.

The Army was very clear that you received your rank before your wings so officer first, aviator second. More often then not pointed out by graduates of the school on the Hudson.

Most Army Warrants usually become Warrants so that they can fly, cheap labor, but they do not care. Let the RLO or Zeros (O1 and up) deal with the daily BS of running the unit.

Case in point, Bosnia 2000, 10th Mountain flew 5 UH-60s to "support" the Brits for a 3 week stint. Upon our arrival the British Major asked who was in charge and the 2LT Platoon leader stepped forward and introduced himself. The Major then asked who he needed to see to about doing flight operations for him. Everyone pointed to me, a CW3 at the time. The LT was p-off but the Major told him he needed the technical expert input.

One of the best 3 week deployments, despite not being able to stay for the Page 3 girls visit. The Brit Major even tried to have us stay longer.

And yes we did dine with the Officers. Managed to only insult our guests once by asking why the Battle of Watertown (home of the 10th Mountain) was not on their fine placemates. It was pointed out that only victories were depicted.

Back to the orginal thread (sort of), visiting a US Air Force base the security police stopped and asked if they need to salute me because they did not recoginize the rank. Yes but no offense taken and they saluted and went on their way.

Get over the salute issue and do things that the reflects postively on all Warrants. If you are in England seek out SASLess to listen about his days as a Warrant. You never realize how dumb W1s are until your a W2.

Havoc
CW3, USA Retired